Tuesday, March 20, 2007

An example of Unschooling

People are often confused about what kind of homeschooling we do. I don't think I ever answer this one to the Questioner's satisfaction because it's all so nebulous and instinctive. Here's an example- We took the kids to the Reliquary here in Aachen, there were all sorts of beautiful objects made about the 10th Century. At a place like this there are so many opportunities to hopefully inspire some learning. After browsing about, well DH and myself browsed, (DS and DD amused themselves by trying out various chairs about the museum.) DH came upon a huge, well lit display case. It was empty. After a few moments in front of this he turned away resignedly and said-
"I thought there might be a trick to it."
"What were you waiting for? A hologram?" I replied with uncharacteristic sarcasm.
Just then DS came up and asked us what a hologram was.
"Well, it's, ummm, you know, like a picture made with light......"
He looked at me blankly.
"It's ummm, well...... I know! You know that bit out of Star Wars episode 4, where R2D2 projects that message! It's a hologram of Princess Leia!"
His face lit up with recognition, and I felt all smug with my expertise with making relevant cross references.
That's unschooling, you go about your day trying to set up meaningful learning environments and end up with Star Wars as your main learning resource.

2 comments:

Diahn said...

Oh, that's hysterical, and oh..so...true! I don't know how many times I've started out with the accepted curriculum, only to resort to the favorite movie of the week to illustrate a point!

That's the true joy of homeschooling!

phthaloblu said...

I agree, that's funny! When we started homeschooling, I bought an expensive curriculum only to find out we went off on too many tangents to actually follow it. So, now we just unschool and go with the flow.