Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The language window

The German language is damn hard to learn! Don't let people tell you otherwise! I studied Japanese for one year and could carry on a decent conversation and I could write both Japanese scripts as well as some Kanji (the Chinese characters used in Japanese writing.) Admittedly I haven't been studying German for long but I am living in the country and having to use it everyday. When I learnt Japanese, I did it without ever visiting the country.
I've just been eavesdropping on the kids playing-
DS "Look DD, here's my shop, what are you going to buy?"
DD " A widdle kidden, an a widdle dog, an a wamm, an a poddy.
(Translation: A little kitten, a little dog, a little lamb and a potty.)
DD "Wait! I habben buy-deded dem yet!
I suspect this is how I sound when I attempt to speak German, however DD is probably more grammatically correct. I just don't understand how my lovely little girl can mispronounce every English word that comes out of her mouth, yet I heard her whispering 'Sponge Bob Schwamm Kopf', 'Nein', 'Schuhe' and 'tschuss' in perfect German!

2 comments:

phthaloblu said...

Immersion! What fun. My son is currently learning Japanese from a friend who spent 5 years there. He loves it. My husband took German in junior high and can read it better than speak it. Me, too. 3 years of French and can barely remember any of it. Spanish comes more easily, and with all the latinos around our area, I figure I will pick it up easily. Your sketches are beautiful, btw. I love looking at your work. Can't wait to s ee more!

sddonlon said...

Good grief, I'm in the process of learning German too. My husband was born/raised there, and his mother and lots of family are there. Step-mom (who is German) lives here. So he's really fluent. We got married 3 years ago, and I've been promising to do it.... haven't gotten past Entschuldigen Sie, Ich verstehe ze Deutsch, and Guten Morgen. :D

Alles Gute!
Sherri in Sacramento