Monday, September 10, 2007

Creative explosion


I mentioned in my last post how I stopped making art after art school, I couldn't cope with all I thought had to be done in order to be a successful artist. Just the thought of having to come up with brilliant, original works and networking with those that might further my career and building up a good cv and exhibiting as often as possible pretty much blocked me completely. I don't want to talk anymore about my 'creative trauma' but instead to mention what seems to be a creative renaissance. The people whose work I read about and look at are people who create for the pure enjoyment of it, selling or not selling just isn't the focus. The Net too, has joined people together, art isn't just in the galleries thank goodness! You can get on the net and look at work by all sorts of people from all over the world whose common thread is simply their joy in making stuff. It makes me feel for the first time that there are no rules and how liberating that is!
These people who may or may not call themselves artists often are more prolific than your traditional artist, I think this is because of a lack of inhibition, making art is about enjoying the process rather than trying to make a living or trying to become famous. (though there's nothing wrong if that happens too!) I was reading about Lisa Congdon this week, she calls herself an Outsider Artist because she has no art training, what I like about her is that she is incredibly prolific but the drive comes from an absolute need and love for creating, you can read an interview with her in Juxtapoz magazine here( sorry, this link isn't working for some reason, you can access it from the About page on her site.) Also she has a great blog here .
While I was thinking about all this, I had a look at this German site that documents Street Art, it brightens my day to spot little masterpieces while I'm out and about. What's your opinion on Street Art? Is it done by criminals or do you see it as unbridled creativity?

4 comments:

Claudia said...

Deb, thank you for your comment on my blog!...and this is a very good blog entry, too! You are so right: the need to create is much more important than the urge to get famous or earn money with it. So, maybe, the really "free" artist is the one who is n o t forced to earn a living with his art...
Kind regards!

laserone said...

Hi! I like the street-art blog you linked to. It has some really interesting and nice art in there. I added you as a friend on flickr. :)

Felicity said...

I felt the same as you when I thought about going to art school - the whole thing put a huge strain on me just thinking about it. 'Having' to create is the biggest creativity killer!

There is some amazing street art here in Geneva and I love it. I don't think it's criminal although in some places I guess it could be called that but here I think it is done legitimatly. Makes you wonder who are they and what other art they create though, doesn't it?

Katie said...

I found your blog actually while researching for my senior film project, and in fact the lack of creativity outside of schoolwork has been getting to me for the past year or so. Art as a career is...intimidating to me and I feel constantly tormenting myself (haha, tormented artist, please pardon the cliche) with the idea that I will never be good enough to survive on it. I dunno...my apologies, I've had that bottled up for awhile.

Anyway, in regards to street-art, outside of some of the more reckless, scribble tagging, the anonymous artwork and stencil art are by far my favorites. Expressing an idea or emotion or cultural fact without the worries of "credit" to me, are true, precious forms of art. In another sense, within the urban settings of brick and metal, street art is a nice reminder that the areas belong to the people who live and travel there. I do regard these marks people leave as art :)

Thank you,
Katie