Friday, September 7, 2007

A moment to feel thankful


Tonight I was thinking of how I got back into art. It wasn't that long ago really, I made some toys for friends last Christmas in an effort to break the mass hysterical consumer orgy that Christmases past have been for me. After that little taste of creativity, something inside me was released, I never wanted to be without it again. When we went to Germany I was looking online for an English speaking life drawing class in the town where we were living. I didn't find one, but I did find Every Day Matters. From Danny Gregory's site I then discovered "The Wish Jar" by keri smith, she has been such a comfort when I've been feeling kinda lost. Her wild abandon and playfulness in creativity has inspired me to create where long ago as an art student I became overwhelmed and paralyzed with fear.
My journal has, as you have probably noticed, taken another swing in style, once upon a time this would have mortified me because I was constantly criticized at art school for not developing a signature style. These days, I welcome the new ideas.
I was browsing keri's site again tonight and out of interest read her article " How to start as an illustrator." She mentioned Bruce Mau's Incomplete Manifesto what he had to say seemed so wise to me at this stage in my life. I really think that what people like Danny Gregory, keri smith and Bruce Mau have done for us ordinary mortals has been absolutely liberating and it has been such a joyous journey to do and also to see the amazing work by people from all walks of life.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Well said! And thanks for the links to a couple of great sites.