Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Additions to the zoo

Boy! It's been a long time since I last blogged. I must admit, this year's fire season knocked me for 6. It's our first Summer in the countryside and what an introduction.... We weren't affected by the fires but our town Macedon was flattened by the Ash Wednesday fires in 1983 and everyone felt our number was due to come up again this year. Anyway, I've finally calmed down enough to write again.
The kids and I bought an A frame hutch kit last week which we whipped up in no time, it was so exciting we had to go out the next day and find something to put in it. We have two guineapigs called Wompy and Whitey now. They are absolutely adorable! Unfortunately, they don't live in the hutch we built. They've always lived indoors and the great outdoors freaked them out, to make matters worst we discovered the terrier from next door madly digging his way in. So the littlies are now living inside with us. Hana is pleased she gets to cuddle them lots. Well, truth be told, I get to cuddle them lots too!
Lovely old Boxhead, our 20 year old mog, is interested enough to spend the odd hour staring into their safe house, but his only real interest these days is chasing the sunny spots around the yard.
There has been a couple of really lovely Autumn days that I've spent out in the garden, wandering about with the chooks on their supervised visit. Our neighbour has appeared several times at the door with a chook under his arm trying to be understanding about finding the little culprit hoeing her way through his garden. So each day I amble about with them out in the yard.
I've built another garden bed under the Eucalypts. A neighbour said I would never be able to grow anything under them so I took it as a challenge. I've put down heaps of mulch and chook poo and the first bed looks so fertile with green healthy plants bursting out of it's borders. In contrast, the garden bed that the owner's of our rental property made, with trucked in topsoil and neat sleeper edges grows sickly, wilting veg that call to every pest in the district. Mind you, I planted some heritage tomatoes in there, they are tiny and not too numerous but the taste is explosive! When they're done, the chooks are going in with a few bales of mulch to do their damage. If only they knew my plans, they'd be apoplectic with excitement!

No comments: