Saturday, March 28, 2009

In which Boxhead the cat takes a guinea pig

The other day, it was a gorgeous Autumn day, mild and sunny. We went out and played on the front verandah, the guinea pigs cavorted in their hutch. I asked Hana to put some extra straw in the Guinea pig's compartment. I thought to myself "she knows how important it is to check that the hutch door is closed....", then I went up to the backyard to clean the chook pen. Only a moment later I saw Boxhead the cat out of the corner of my eye, he followed the wall and then around the corner, crouched low, moving fast. It didn't register at first, my confused brain slowly processed the fact that he had something in his mouth- something white and furry and small..... Close behind, came Kobe. One look at his distressed expression and it all became clear. Boxhead had taken Whitey.
In moments of urgency like this, I have been known to leap into action with amazing alacrity..... Well actually I freeze and shriek just like I do in my anxiety dreams where my body is flooded with adrenalin yet heavy and sluggish like half set concrete. I did this, but finally managed to force myself to move, after Boxhead I went, weaving after him bent in half, grasping at his fur. I launched and tackled him to the ground where finally he dropped Whitey who fell and lay twitching. The tears came, I thought Boxhead had broken the backbone for sure.
I cradled her little body in my hands and went to return her to her box. As I lowered her down, she limped out of my hand. I put her in a darkened room and went to find and comfort Hana who had gone down to the end of the yard. She sat there, head on her knees sobbing and crying. What I said to comfort her, I was sure were empty reassurances.
An hour or two later I looked in Whitey's box, she lay on her side, still as stone and my heart sank. But as I gazed down on her, her eyes widened suddenly and she leapt up and scrambled under the straw! Later on I took her gently and went over limbs and body, there was an indentation behind her neck where Boxhead's one remaining fang had pressed almost fatally but the skin remained intact. Today, I'm happy to say she is nervous but back to normal.

No comments: