Saturday, August 24, 2013

Optimism is in the air!





No apologies for not posting!  I actually have been blogging, I've been starting blogs and deleting blogs as I get interested in new things and then lose interest. I was about to start another one today when I realized that I could just post on this one because I've had this blog since 2007 (!) it's been a chronicle of my life! 
I am tentatively committing to 365 days of yoga.  This frightens me a little, how many challenges have I taken up over the years only to give up?  I feel like I've got to a stage in my life where I really have no choice but to do this.  I've been so ill this year with chronic fatigue and injuries.  It's been nearly impossible to be the mother, wife and friend that I want to be.  But Spring is in the air! My diet has changed because it seems I have food intolerances, my chiropractor is an enormous help and I am getting on the mat again, Yay!

When I was young, our local library had a big hardback book of yoga for kids.  I took it out time and time again, the big colourful photos of children being lions, cobras and fish were entrancing.  I loved the lion- spreading my fingers wide, tongue out as far as it would go, eyes wide. I could even do the crow when I was a kid, balancing on my hands, with my knees propped on my elbows, I would slowly tip forwards and there I was teetering on two hands!

I haven't gone to a lot of classes, I did do Bikram's yoga when I lived in the city.  1 1/2 hours of asanas in 38 degree heat.  It was hard but I felt such achievement when the class was finally over.  Bikram's didn't suit my body though, it would take 2 days to recover.  I've been a Mum for 12 years now, so home practice has been the choice for me.  I was still young enough back then to get away with neglecting myself, but these days my body is crying out for some T.L.C- hence the 365 days of yoga.  It may not be hours of practice each day, it might only be tree pose on a busy day, and I want to explore the other aspects of yoga too.

I have a book called A year of Living Your Yoga: Daily Practice to Shape Your Life by Judith Hanson Lassater Phd.  I plan to use this as a framework for my daily practice.  It's not all asanas, there is a lot of food for thought in this book.  I'm looking forward to seeing the changes that will come from this committment!

Ps. That's a pic of Durga. Who wouldn't want to be an eight armed warrior goddess?!

No comments: