Friday, September 20, 2013

Spaciousness.

Day 25.

"More is not always the answer.

Living Your Yoga: In this busy, busy world, we often believe that having a little more time is the answer. But you already have all the time there is in the Universe. Today, do a little less, and let the spaciousness of time around you."

(A Year of Living Your Yoga, by Judith Hanson Lassater PhD., P.T.)

We homeschool our children. We've been doing this since D.S was five years old, so we've been doing this for nearly 8 years now. For this whole time, I've struggled with feelings of guilt that I'm not doing enough with them both. We have "sit down at the table" time every weekday to do formal work and they see a tutor once a week as well. I think the reason we do worksheets is because we as parents feel better seeing something concrete. Worksheets can be useful because we can see what the kids know and what they might struggle with. It's also insurance for us in case the State Government Homeschooling rules change in the future and we will be subject to auditing. But the truth is, most of the kids learning comes from the situations we find ourselves in and the conversation that develops from them. We have discussed everything under the Sun while we have been in the car, and the kids share with me what they know and perceive in their world and they will ask questions. We often joke that we do "Car schooling" rather than "Homeschooling."

I often feel I am wasting my day by sleeping late but in reality, if I didn't get that extra rest, I wouldn't be able to do anything. It seems a shame that I waste that precious rest by feeling guilty about it. It's my truth that I need more rest than other people because of my health and I need to manage my time and energy to be the best I can. Because I need to rest so much, the kids spend quite a bit of time on their own which is something that I feel guilty about but really, it's been a blessing in disguise. They rarely say they're bored because they are used to amusing themselves, and DS and DD although they have other wonderful friends, they are the best of friends because they have always relied on each other for company also they have learned to learn independently. They are also very considerate and compassionate because they know that I need help sometimes.

When we are together, I am so aware of how precious that time is. I think from now on, I will try to be especially aware and thankful for my time with my family. My kids are doing well, part of that is from that time at the kitchen table but a majority of it is from the time we've spent together just living in wonder at the World. We need Spaciousness in order to do this.

Todays practice- bedtime asanas.

 

No comments: