Thursday, September 5, 2013

Tension



Day 12

"Tension is your body's response to the past.

Living Your Yoga:  Close your eyes and notice where you are holding tension in your body.  This holding is related to your thoughts from the past.  Find time today to lie in Savasana (Basic Relaxation Pose), supporting your head and under your knees, covering your eyes.  Consciously observe your tension for fifteen minutes.  Watch it melt away."
(A Year of Living Your Yoga by Judith Hanson Lassater Ph.D.,P.T)

Apart from taking Pepe Dog to the vet this morning, today was the first day in quite some time that I've spent at home.  It was heavenly!  I did this yoga sequence by Ekhart Yoga on Youtube and then I tried to do the above suggestion- 15 minutes in Savasana.  Although I'm loving my daily yoga and writing about it on this blog, I find I have to be careful that my daily practice doesn't become too "result" oriented.  I do often find myself grinding through a sequence so I have something to report here, but it's important to keep in mind that yoga is not just about asanas.

While lying in Savasana, the thoughts where swirling in my mind and all my muscles were tight.  I had not supported my head or put something under my knees and I was lying on my mat on the cold tiled floor.  I realised later that in my haste to slap the mat down and get it over and done with, I had ignored the real purpose of the exercise.  There was no way I could have sunk into deep relaxation, to have gone inside myself to see the spots that held tension.   But, of course even when things don't work out, there is always a lesson to be learned!  

No comments: